Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Welcome Beginning

Welcome. I am quite fortunate that I get to begin my blog on a high note. The Economic Community of West African States brought justice this week to a part of the world that so desperately needs it. In Niger, the ECOWAS court ruled in favour of Hadijatou Mani yesterday. Sold into Slavery at the age of ten, Mani was forced to bare her master’s children, and was often sexually and physically abused. ECOWAS ordered the state of Niger to pay Mani compensation of $19,750 for not providing her with the proper protection. Slavery was officially made illegal in Niger in 2004.

With this ruling, Mani not only compensated financial, she won her rights.

As I write this first entry on what I hope to become a weekly blog about global political culture, I celebrate the fact that every once in a while, good news finds its way onto the front page.

No comments: